Hello my fellow foodies!
So for today’s menu at work it was chicken noodle soup and turkey and swiss melt. Normally I prepare the soup out of the can ( I know DEFINITELY not culinary savvy). But I was inspired to prepare it from scratch. Now I am going to tell you some of my secrets of how I made it. As much as I have the standard equipment, I have found some tricks that I use on a daily at work. One of them is a rice cooker. Rice Cookers in my opinion is one of the best kitchen gadgets in the planet, and if you do no at have one, GET ONE! With the name rice cooker you think that your limited to just rice, but there is soo much more you can do, from steaming veggies and fish, to cooking pasta their is a lot you can do. One thing I love to do with the rice cooker is to make soup. I have made soups like broccoli cheddar, marinara sauce from scratch, The water heats quickly and stays nice and warm so whenever your ready, your soup is fresh and hot to be served! Here is how I made a simple yet delicious chicken noodle soup that all the children enjoyed.
- 3-4 pieces of Grilled Chicken Breast – diced into small edible pieces
- 12 cups of water
- 6 Chicken Bouillon cubes
- 1-2 tsp of fresh minced Garlic
- 2 tsp of Onion Powder
- 2 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley – either freshly chopped or dried
- 1 pkg of Pasta – for the children I used ABC Egg Noodle pasta
- 1-2 cups of fresh of frozen Vegetables – I used a bag of frozen mixed veggies that include corn, green beans, peas and carrots for color and for taste
- Salt and a dash of Pepper for taste
- Fill your rice cooker with water to the 12 cup line and add bouillon cubes, onion and garlic powder and minced garlic. Cover with lid and heat till it boils.
- Once the broth is at a boil add your chicken, vegetables, and cooked pasta to the broth and simmer till close to a boil. **The Rice Cooker tends to boil more quickly than cooking on a stove so keep a close watch.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste level and you can set the soup to warm or serve immediately.
- Serve with a sandwich or nice warm bread such as a baquette and ENJOY!
These simple and fool proof directions will give you a very yummy and enjoyable soup for you to enjoy. The children loved the noodles in the soup and the broth was light yet flavorful. So before I forget everyone please go get a rice cooker! You will thank me later when you do 😉
Happy Cooking 🙂