Hello My Creative Foodies,
So I decided to start a series of post about dishes I have made or recipes I have tried using a rice cooker. In my previous posts I have shown a couple recipes (Creative Mac and Cheese) that I have used the rice cooker for certain components of the dish. Using a rice cooker is quick and simple and it is an alternative than using a stove. Since I started my current job I use my rice cooker at least twice a week. I love the simplicity and the easy clean up. I recommend the rice cooker for anyone especially people who like cooking made easy and fast. A good rice cooker makes not only nice and fluffily rice every time but you can use it for other things such as sauces, soups, certain meats such as chicken, the list goes on!
One of the dishes I love to make is penne with turkey marinara. It has since than become a staple dish on our current menu and it is so easy yet DELICIOUS to make! I recommend it to anyone who is not only a pasta lover, but wants something quick and healthy with A LOT of FLAVOR 🙂
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of your favorite brand of Turkey Meatballs (My favorites are Perdue or Shady Farms)
- 1 can of crush tomatoes
- 1 can of Hunts diced tomatoes (If you enjoy a chunky marinara sauce, if not just two cans of crushed tomatoes)
- Olive Oil – enough to coat the bottom of the rice cooker pot
- 2-3 tsp of minced garlic (I love Garlic but maybe one tsp is just enough for you, its all about your taste buds :-))
- 1-2 tsp of minced or chopped onion
- 3 tbsp of Sugar
- Chopped Parsley and Basil to taste
- Italian Seasoning to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Water (if sauce is too thick, splash some hot water to think it out)
- Cooked Penne Pasta
- Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle (optional)
- What I love about the rice cooker is you can make Pasta! So before you make your yummy sauce, you can boil enough water for your pasta and add some salt, olive oil, garlic and onion powder for taste. Set aside once cooked.
- In a clean pot add your mince garlic and onion and add enough oil to cover the onion and garlic.
Saute for a minute or so than add both your crushed and diced tomatoes and stir. Add your seasoning: salt, basil, italian seasoning, sugar, pepper, and any other seasonings. I like to add garlic and onion powder to enhance the flavor.
- Let your sauce cook and simmer while occasionally stirring for about 10-20 minutes. *** Rice cookers can cook at a quick rate compared to stovetop so keep a close eye. Also if you do not stir, your sauce can burn from the bottom so REMEMBER to STIR! lol )
- While your sauce is simmering either thaw out your turkey meatballs or id there already thawed using your hand crush your turkey meatballs till it resembles ground turkey.
Add your ground turkey to your sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes while stirring.
- Once sauced is made you can pour on your penne and ENJOY! ***Warning: sauce is SUPER HOT so DO NOT BURN YOURSELF! Lol 🙂
Now that you know how I make quick and easy penne with meat sauce I hope you all try it. The beauty of using a rice cooker or any kitchen appliance in that nature is you can be creative and do something different. Even with this simple recipe, thinking outside the box can result in delicious outcomes. So let’s throw on our aprons and get CREATIVE!
Happy Cooking my friends 🙂